Friday, December 5, 2008

Hello?

My day job is in a call center that houses a newspaper which caters to a certain state in the USA. 

Back in training, we were told never to use 'expiration date.' Supposedly the phrase does not exist ("There's no such word")  and is not used by US Americans (hello, Ms South Carolina) , and that what we should use is 'expiry date' or 'expire date.'

Which was news to me, because I had worked for an international credit card company in my previous call center. For two and a half years, we were all using 'expiration date' and nothing else. I never got corrected by anyone.

Three months later, a co-worker receives a call. She uses 'expiry date' and the subscriber asks, "You're not from here, are you? Where are you located?" She answers, "This call is being handled in Manila, Philippines."

"That's what I figured. 'Cause you know, we don't use that word here. It's expiration date."

Then he hangs up.

No comments: