Monday, December 29, 2008

Please Give Her the Oscar


I have not seen any of the movies gunning for the next Academy Awards, but I'm aware of which ones have got the buzz.

My friends and I are hoping to see Leo in the running again, this time for Revolutionay Road.

Personally, I would like to see Kate Winslet bag an Oscar. She has two shots: one for the Road, and another for The Reader. She has better chances at the best supporting actress prize for The Reader. I have read the reviews, and it looks like one of those performances that's really a lead role, much like those of Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind, Catherine Zeta-Jones in Chicago and Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls.

She has been nominated previously for :

Sense and Sensibility, supporting actress, 1995

Titanic, lead actress, 1997

Iris, supporting actress, 2001

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, lead actress, 2004

Little Children, lead actress, 2006

Her credits also include Heavenly Creatures (1994), Quills (2000), and Finding Neverland (2004).

"I can't deny it would mean a huge deal. Whether that's going to happen ever in my life, of course, remains to be seen," said Winslet in an interview with David Germain.

"I'm a very good loser. I've actually got it down, I think. I have a formula I could sell. I'm 33 years old, for God's sake. I've been there five times before. It's been incredible every single time, and I'm nothing other than just genuinely amazed and truly, truly grateful to have had those moments in my life."

If she gets nominated for both roles and loses them, she will hold the record of most nominations without a win among actresses. (Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter each have six nods and no wins.) Which is okay, because they would be nominations six and seven for her, and that's a lot. But I would really like to see her win.

No comments: