Monday, December 22, 2008

Refuge

Monday last week, The New Yorker published a 1905 essay by Mark Twain, the first time it sees print.

In "The Privilege of the Grave," Twain writes:

"We have charity for what the dead say. We may disapprove of what they say, but we do not insult them, we do not revile them, as knowing they cannot now defend themselves. If they should speak, what revelations there would be!"

A hundred and three years later, and it still stands true. (I'm not about to attack this nugget of wisdom from Twain, you know.)

I'd try to publish here in this blog my thoughts on many things, and I would appreciate it if you would post a comment here and there. You may disapprove, you may puke, and that will be okay. You can save the respect for later when I'm gone. Much later. I'm not going to give you pleasure by going out early. 

"Now there is hardly one of us but would dearly like to reveal these secrets of ours; we know we cannot do it in life, then why not do it from the grave, and have the satisfaction of it?"

I'm very much here, so why not engage me? For questions, clarifications, violent reactions or flattery, make them known here or to my e-mail address: pages_screens@ymail.com

No comments: