Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sharpening My Rapier



I know I have not been publishing movie reviews lately.

But it does not mean I have not been writing them. In fact, I have been writing five at the same time. They are long, and I'm still editing, so I hope you'd be able to read them soon.

You see, I'd be working 11.5-hour shifts again in the next two weeks. I know this is not normal, but call centers in the Philippines is not normal in the first place. I'm having two days off, and I'd spend them with my family and to catch up on my sleep.

I have also accumulated an indecent number of books I have yet to read. And last month I had already sworn off not buying books I don't think I can read with the little time I've got.

Here's three still sitting on my desk:

The Simpsons: One Step Beyond Forever (Seasons 13 & 14)

           edited by Jesse L. McCann; Harper, 2005

           I bought this in a bargain books shop in Sta. Mesa for 110 pesos. It's packed with jokes and colorful illustrations.

Reading Myself and Others by Philip Roth

          Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1975 for P70.

          Essays by the author of Portnoy's Complaint. In the dedication page he wrote: 'To Saul Bellow, the "other" I have read from the beginning with the deepest pleasure and admiration.'

Notes on a Scandal screenplay based on the book by Zoe Heller

           Faber and Faber Limited, 2006 for P40

           with notes on the screenplay by the movie's screenwriter Patrick Marber (He also wrote Mike Nichols's Closer.)

The last two I also got in Sta. Mesa. Now if I could only find the time to read them.

No comments: